Elkhart BIG RED Band
Summer Band Camp 2017
WE ARE DOING ROOKIE CAMP DIFFERENT THIS YEAR!!! Always check the Calendar for more details.
Rookie Camp* starts Monday, June 5-9; 10am-2pm
Full Band Camp starts Tuesday, August 1, 2017; 2pm-9pm
(*Rookie Camp is mandatory for ALL incoming freshman or students new to the BIG RED Band.
Full Band Camp is mandatory for all members of the BIG RED Band!)
Bring Lunch/Dinner to camp.
There will not be enough time to leave to eat!!!
You will need the following for a successful summer band experience:
- You need to be hydrated. That means that you must drink lots of water THE DAY BEFORE camp starts so that you will not dehydrate. Drinking water during camp is part of it, but you must be hydrated properly at least 24 hours before camp starts. Drink up!!
- A NUTRITIOUS breakfast/lunch – avoids carbonated drinks – we recommend lots of fruit (bananas are BEST), water and lots of food with carbs and protein (bacon, eggs, biscuits, etc.)
- A BIG water jug – we will provide water, but you need to bring your own water jug. You will need to drink at least 64 ounces of water each day during outside rehearsals to keep yourself hydrated.
- Your instrument and music for indoor rehearsals – don’t forget the trusty pencil!!
- A HAT – not just a visor. You will need protection from the sun, and will be thankful you have a HAT. Caps are NOT optional for this week because we will be in the sun, so please don’t forget. If you forget your hat, a substitute hat from our generic hat bag will be issued.
- Remember the sunscreen. This is very important, so you don’t sunburn and become ill.
- DO NOT wear sandals, flip flops or boots – you will need SNEAKERS/TENNIS SHOES for these rehearsals. Sandals will hurt your feet.
Please understand that failure to attend summer band rehearsals means you may not have a spot in our marching show. We will set drill to our marching show during the second full week of rehearsal, and if you are not here, you will not have a spot in our show. This is a very crucial time for our marching band. Our success next year is a direct reflection on Summer Band Camp!
To help to insure our success, make plans to attend all of the Elkhart Summer Band Camp. This way, everyone will be on the same page when we begin putting our show together.
On the band website www.elkhartisd.org is our 2017 band calendar. I will have Morning Rehearsals, Section Rehearsals and Friday Night Games as well as ALL contests and events posted to that page. It stays up-to-date and goes as far into the future as I can make it.
Again, I hope you have a GREAT summer. This is going to be an exciting year for the BIG RED Band, and I can’t wait to get going. See you then…
J. Wes Canaday Jared Autrey